The Cricketers Pub in Worcester
Menu

 

 

 

 

About Us

The Cricketers was first known as The Shakespeare Hotel or Shakespeare Tavern and was built in 1781 along with The Theatre Royal next door. The Shakespeare was once connected to the theatre from the pit and stalls. The theatre took on several changes over the years to the style of performances and in fact to the theatres name. It was burnt down and rebuilt in 1877 and then refurbished in 1902. Unfortunately in 1955 it was forced to close down and the connections erased. The Shakespeare pub remained through all this.

In 1992 the pub became The Cricketers and was frequently visited by many to see the memorabilia which was around on all the walls and by some famous cricketers themselves who were enchanted by its lovely atmosphere. In 2010 the pub changed again due to the sudden death of the landlady and the majority of the cricket memorabilia was sold.  

In November 2011 the current licensees took on The Cricketers and in October 2012 the pub underwent a huge refurbishment. Many if not all of the pubs traditional features were restored. The pub is back to being a popular spot for many locals and visitors to Worcester City.